Totally Paleo Pear and Walnut Salad

Here is a super easy salad recipe that is perfect for a summer cookout but also works greats in the winter too! Good news…it is 100% Paleo…dressing and all! Top it with grilled chicken for a complete dinner!

Paleo pear and walnut salad

Ingredients:

• Box of baby spinach
  • Shredded carrots, 1 cup
  • Toasted walnuts, 1/4 cup
  • 2 Ripe Pears
  • Raspberries, 1/2 pint
  • Orange juice, 2 tbs.
  • Olive oil 2 tsp.
  • Goat cheese (optional)
Directions: Begin by toasting your walnuts and poaching the pears. Slice the pears into thin strips and place into a pan with water. Bring the water to a boil on medium to low heat. When the water starts to boil set a timer for 5 minutes and let the pears poach at a low heat. While the pears are cooking you can assemble the dressing. In a food processor puree the olive oil, raspberries, and orange juice. Adjust the amount of orange juice based on whether you want your dressing thicker or thinner. After five minutes remove the pears from the heat and make the salad. In a bowl, combine the spinach, carrots, walnuts and pears, and toss with the dressing. Serve with the goat cheese on the side as an option.

paleo pear and walnut salad

We served this at our Fourth of July Cookout last week and it was a perfect healthy addition to some of the other not so healthy foods. For me it rounded out the perfect healthy cookout plate!

Salads have been the perfect summer meal for me. Here’s my favorite one I’ve been having almost daily…

salad

It has baby spinach, crumbled goat cheese, fresh fields chicken breast, red pepper, strawberries, and 2 tbs. of sunflower seeds!

Here’s another salad I just had for dinner a couple nights ago…recipe is coming soon!

salad

And another awesome recipe experiment coming soon!

And a baby salad for my lunch yesterday! Kept it small, spinach, chicken, and goat cheese, all I really need :)

Spinach Salad

Another favorite of mine is a raspberry, orange, and chicken spinach salad.

What’s your favorite Salad? Salad topper? Are you a fruit salad or veggie salad person?

32 thoughts on “Totally Paleo Pear and Walnut Salad

1. Eva @ committed2nutrition

Salads look amazing. Definitely something I can bring to many bbq’s I have coming up! Looks easy and delicious, and I love adding fruit to salads. I am kind of obsessed with Arugula. I honestly cannot eat a salad without it. At work, they order us lunch everyday (they pick a place and we decide individually what we want off the menu), and I even bring a small container of arugula from home so I can add it to my salad at work!! I also love adding a lot of hot pepper – I love love love spicy foods. I can’t wait for your shrimp salad recipe :)

1. danielle Post author

That’s so funny! I am like that with baby spinach! Can’t eat a salad without it! The shrimp salad was last nights dinner and was so good! Recipe will be up on Sunday! Salads are my go to BBQ foods because I can bring them and know I’ll have something to eat too!

2. Caroline @ After Dinner Dance

Salads are my cooking weakness. I can make all sorts of delicious meals, but when it comes to simple salads, I often fail. I just never love them when I make them! I know it sounds silly, but it’s true. I’m often jealous when people seem to make so many great salads. They just never turn out for me, or maybe they do and I’m just not satisfied – who knows!

1. danielle Post author

That’s so funny! I love salads but can totally see where you’re coming from! For the longest time I wouldn’t go near a salad! I always love your recipes though so I’m sure you’d come up with a great salad one :)

3. Jo

My fav salad is Mango Chicken. Yummmm! I’d have to say veggie salad with some fruit in it is my kind of salad. For toppers, sunflower seeds, avocado, fresh salsa. I’ll be trying the pear too!

1. danielle Post author

Wow! Never tried mango chicken salad but I think I need too! Sounds awesome! I love mango and pineapple together! Perfect summer combo!

1. danielle Post author

Not at all I actually think it sounds delicious! I don’t really like dressing so that would be a perfect swap for me!

1. danielle Post author

Thanks! I’m totally a fruit person but wish I liked veggies more! They’re so good for you!

4. Tessa @ Amazing Asset

mmmm what a tasty recipe Danielle! Pears are just great when they are nice and ripe, and with walnuts, just a wonderful combination! Thank you for this idea :) I like to add strawberries, blueberries and clementines on my salads.. oh and grapes too!

1. danielle Post author

Ahh yum! I love fruit on my salads too! Anything to disguise the veggies ;) Never tried grapes in my salad! I’m going to have to test that one out!

1. danielle Post author

Yum not quite Paleo cause of the beans and corn but sounds delicious! I actually will have beans and corn occasionally, just had corn and edamame in my salad tonight! I’m not strict Paleo for this reason! Some things are just too good to give up :)

5. Maren

You are so brave! I never put fruit in my salads. It freaks me out. But it always looks so good!

I have to tell you. I bought the paelo diet book and I’ve been reading it, seriously because of your blog. All your food looks so awesome and I know my tummy/intestines would love it. How do you do the paleo diet? It seems like there are lots of different ways to approach it.

1. danielle Post author

Love that you got the book!!! I honestly just love the concept of Paleo as whole. I try to eat nothing with added ingredients for the most part. That being said I would say I eat more “primal” than “paleo” simply because I eat dairy! When I first started Paleo though I went totally Paleo and then slowly added things back in to see what I can tolerate. Dairy works for me but gluten did not. I ended up finding out I had Celiac shortly after starting Paleo. I allow myself things like peanut butter, unsweetened almond breeze, yogurt, goat cheese, etc…because they don’t bother me. I will have the occasional gluten free grain too but not very often. I would say approach the first 30 days strict and then go from there. Slowly start to add one or two things in and see how you feel. Let me know if you have questions though I could honestly ramble on for days about it :)

6. Emily

I am all about the salads for lunch! I enjoy the spinach-chicken-goat cheese combo too, with some shredded carrot and cabbage for a little crunch. Also I found that as long as I have some sort of cheese, bacon or nuts on my salad I don’t need any dressing.

1. danielle Post author

Yum! Sounds great! I agree I never use dressing in my salads! Just fill it with enough stuff instead :)