Shrimp and Veggie Stir Fry Medley

Excuse the long post title. Since high school Saturday nights have been my time with my mom. If you talk to me for all of 5 minutes you will probably learn how close I am to my mom and my family. So Saturday nights have always been kind of special for me. My sister and my dad have worked on Saturdays since high school days so it has always just been me and my mom. Since you may know back in the day I was a notorious dieter I often preferred to do my own thing when it came to meals. It was rare I actually ate what everyone else was eating for dinner and even to this day my family’s meals and mine are not often alike. Except when it comes to Saturdays. To say my mom is supportive is an understatement. When I wanted to lose weight she helped me measure my chicken every week and every Saturday night for as long as I can remember we would have chicken stir fry. In perfectly measured portions. Then I moved on to my vegetarian stage and Saturday nights meant a lentil loaf, or omelets, or veggie burgers. Now things are a bit different. I’m a little more go with the flow when it comes to my meals but Saturdays are still fun. My mom and I are the “healthy” eaters in my family so Saturdays often means lots of veggies and protein and because we both love shrimp it usually means shrimp. So this recipe is a hybrid of my phases, the stir fries, the veggies, and the shrimp. She and I made this for dinner this past Saturday and it was perfect. But even more perfect was the company I ate it in. Saturday nights will always be my favorite and won’t ever be complete without a little bit of “mom” time!

SatNightStirFry

Ingredients:

• 1/2 lb fresh shrimp
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 carrot, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup sugar snap peas (If you’re strict Paleo swap this for broccoli)
  • 1/2 cup fresh pineapple, diced
  • 1 inch fresh ginger, finely minced
  • 1/8 tsp. minced garlic
  • 2 tsp. olive oil
  • 2 tsp. sesame oil
  • 4 tsp. coconut aminos
  • sesame seeds

Directions:

1. Warm a skillet over low heat with your olive oil.
  2. Scramble your egg in the pan and cook until done. Remove from the skillet.
  3. Next saute the shrimp in the same skillet until cooked. Remove from the skillet.
  4. Lastly saute the vegetables until cooked.
  5. Once your veggies have cooked add in your ginger and garlic (this will prevent it from burning).
  6. Next back in the shrimp, egg, and pineapple and let simmer over low heat.
  7. In a bowl combine your coconut aminos and sesame oil and then pour over your stir fry.
  8. Saute a few minutes longer.
  9. Serve as is or over cauliflower rice (for Paleo) or brown rice (for gluten free) and sprinkle with sesame seeds
  10. Enjoy!

Makes 2-3 servings

Shrimp and Vegetable Stir Fry

Gluten Free Version over Brown Rice.

Paleo Shrimp Stir Fry

The Paleo Version.

Do you have any family traditions you look forward to??

46 thoughts on “Shrimp and Veggie Stir Fry Medley

1. Lucie

Oh I LOVE this. Especially the exotic touch with coconut and pineapple.
    And I love that you spend your Saturdays with your Mom. Momtime is the best!! My Mom and me travel a lot together. We go away for long weekends to a city or a nice place around in Europe and it is always a blast.

2. Michelle @ Eat Move Balance

Shrimp is one of my favorites! On a stir-fry just makes it that much better. Family traditions are so important–what great memories! We used to have “Friday night pizza” nights when I was growing up. I think it was a way to end the week without my Mom having to cook–my Dad would pick up pizza on his way home from work. As kids, we loved it!

1. danielle Post author

It’s actually really easy to cook. It changes color when it’s cooked too so it’s really easy to tell!

3. Amanda @ .running with spoons.

I love that you’re so close to your mom :) My mom is seriously my best friend and I have to talk to her daily and see her at least a few times a week. Sunday night family dinners are kind of a tradition around here… Everyone seems to be super busy during the week, so Sundays are the days we spend together and catch up.

1. danielle Post author

Sundays have always been a family day for me too. That’s so great that you are so close with your mom too!

4. Lisa

Aw, I love that your Mom is so supportive! I can definitely relate, my Mom is totally my best friend. Ha, I still feel like a kid sometimes. We don’t have any Dinner traditions, I guess because I eat completely different meals than them, plus we live separately. But I just love catching up with her and knowing she’ll always be there. Stir fries are always perfect for those meals you want quick, but healthy!

5. Caitlin

I totally love that you paired this recipe with a family story especially since it’s one you know I can relate to!! My weeknight dinners w/my mom are so special. We are both the “healthy eaters” in the fam too. This dish is something we’d love! She and I are going out to dinner together tonight. I can’t wait for us both to get seafood!

6. Greta

Beautiful! Both the recipe (all the variations of it) and the story. Thank you for sharing this bit of your special relationship with your mom.
    I do remember the exceptional times me, my brother and dad used to have when my mom was going away for business; we used to cook for each other and wash the dishes together and spend long evenings falling asleep in front of TV with the buckets of melting ice cream on our laps. Now I wish to recreate this atmosphere mom included. 😀

1. danielle Post author

Thanks Chelsea! I’ve always wanted to move somewhere warmer but would have such a hard time away from my family!

7. Sara @ Nourish and Flourish

I love that you and your mom share a Saturday night dinner tradition! I’m super close to my mom, too, however she lives across the country, so instead of eating together, we share recipes with each other on a weekly basis. I love that we can now bond over food (it used to be an uncomfortable point of contention during the years I was restricting)—it’s nourishing both physically and emotionally. :)

This shrimp stir-fry looks delicious, fresh, and healthy. Love it! I can’t remember the last time I made a good stir-fry, but you’ve inspired me to change that. :)

Happy Sunday, Danielle! <3

1. danielle Post author

That’s so great that you and your mom are able to share that interest! Definitely make a good stir fry soon :)

1. danielle Post author

Thanks Brittany! It took me a long time to like shrimp too. It’s still the only seafood I will really eat!