Love Your Body

This post title is just about as cliche as it can get but it’s Valentine’s Day so why not?!

hearts
What does it mean to me to love your body. For a long time I probably couldn’t answer this question. My body and love did not go in the same sentence together. I believe it was third grade when I started to learn what it meant to be uncomfortable in my own skin. I remember wearing one of my sister’s sweatshirts to school one day because I thought it was so cool and then felt uncomfortable all day because I wore leggings with it and no one else wore them. I remember my friend teaching me how to tell if you were big boned, small boned, or medium. I was petrified I was big boned. I can still picture the fearful thought created in my mind from a friend telling me that when two boys in our class hit each other it made noise because they were so chubby. This was when my body image got altered. Why is it that we always concern ourselves with what people think of our outward appearance? I have no memories of ever being concerned with whether people thought I was too nice or not friendly enough or whatever you may.

hearts2
Now here’s where it gets even worse. If you know me you know I am a very accepting person. I think everyone is sweet, and nice and usually don’t have a bad word to say about anyone. Now when it comes to myself we have a whole other thing happening. I am mean, critical, and sometimes downright ridiculous with expectations for myself. So this year I pledge to do something different. This year I am going to relax and cut myself some slack. I am the world’s biggest perfectionist. We’re talking type A personality to a T. I tend to walk around a stress case and place all the blame on myself. For the longest time I’ve strived to be something I’m not. I have a bit of an obsession with being blond, and I’m far from it. I’m never going to be super skinny (and healthy at the same time). I may never be a beauty queen. But when all is said and done there are things I like about myself.

hearts3
So this year I’m going to love me just as I am and here’s what that means to me:

• I am going to eat food that fuels me and makes me feel my best, whatever the label will be.
  • I will exercise and move as much as my body needs and I will rest when I need it.
  • I will make “me time” a priority and give myself at least a 1/2 hour a day to take time to relax.
  • I am going to try to refrain from pulling myself apart.
  • I am going to let things go just a bit more and not walk around a stress case 24/7.
  • I am going to have faith that I am doing my best and not always worry about the outcome of every situation.
  • I will take more time to be social and enjoy family time instead of worrying about deadlines or work to be done.

What does loving your body mean to you??

40 thoughts on “Love Your Body

1. Jessie

Danielle, this post was so well-written. I really admire everything you mentioned, and the list you gave yourself to work on. Please also NEVER forget, that you ARE a beautiful woman, both inside & out. You deserve all the happiness in the world. Continue being you, because you are amazing just the way you are.

Have a fabulous day.

2. Lucie

You go girl!!! I can totally relate on that post. I am SO mean to me, so many times. I would never be mean to someone else, but I am against me. I absolutely love the list you made and will make one for myself too! What better day to start with this than on Valentines Day? Love you!!!

3. Michelle @ Eat Move Balance

I have that same Type A personality! The stress we can put on ourselves can really wreak havoc on our bodies and minds. I’m with you on working to respect my body more and take care of it. And you ARE beautiful! Don’t think otherwise.

Great post, Danielle! Happy Valentine’s Day!

4. Amanda @ .running with spoons.

Awwr but girl you ARE beautiful, and not to mention super sweet and talented <3 But I can completely relate to being my own worst critic and just tearing myself apart any chance I get. I've struggled with the same thing for as long as I can remmeber, and even though it's gotten better, there's still a lot to work on. To me, loving my body means giving it what it needs, whether that be good food, rest, time to relax, or being grateful for all the things that it can do for me.

1. danielle Post author

Sounds like you have a great grasp on it! I love that you say being grateful for all it can do for you! Nothing better than that :)

5. Greta

You know that in my eyes you embody perfection, right? It so beautiful that you are sharing your insecurities with your readers and me. You make me feel so much better about myself. I’m my worst enemy considering anything and everything. And learning to see some goodness and beauty in myself is really tough.
    So may I copy your love list and use it too? I really need that.
    Happy Valentine’s Day, gorgeous!

1. danielle Post author

Of course you can use my list but I think it will be wonderful for you to come up with your own too! Remember too that no one is 100% perfect but are imperfections make us who we are!

6. Dana DeGrazia

I completely agree with this post, I am a cheerleader to friends and family to not be so hard on themselves and look at the positives but then totally critique every part of me and I am completely a type A OCD personality.
    I am working this year to break outside of my box and challenge myself to try things that make me uncomfortable (started a blog, running 2 half marathons as well as a race every month)
    Thank you for reminding me to let go, relax and remember what is most important.

1. danielle Post author

Yes! Let your confidence shine through. Remember you are your own worst critic and your inner beauty is always going to shine through!

7. Pingback: Happy Valentine’s Day: Blog Love | Healthy Weight Loss Blogs

8. Lisa

Such a great post Danielle!
    Love it.
    You are a beautiful person inside and out! I completely know what you mean when you’re your own worst critic. Welcome to my life. I’ve struggled a lot with this, but I’ve also come leaps and bounds from where I once was! As long as I’m progressing that’s all that matters. I just learn to appreciate the small things. Like being able to walk, breathe, live a normal life, when so many other people out there can’t do those same things.
    Love you lady!

1. danielle Post author

Love you too girl! I couldn’t agree with you more too. In terms of progressing we are both definitely getting where we need to be and that is all that matters :)

9. Rachel @ Healthy Chicks

Beautiful, Danielle. I too am super hard on myself, and sometimes ask “Would I treat a friend or someone I loved like this?” NO! We are totally our number one critics! Sometimes I am so hard on myself and think so many people are “judging” me when really the only one judging me is ME. Positive affirmations & daily meditations have worked wonders in shifting my mindset. Happy Valentine’s day Danielle :)

10. Caitlin

i swear girl you and i could just adopt the same goals for ourselves and be good to go. i am SO type-a and so hard on myself. with my therapist i work on recognizing that i would NEVER apply the caitlin standards to others. so why do i have to abide by my ridiculous standards that i always need to do more more more? that’s a great mental check, ask yourself, “would i ask this of someone else?”

1. danielle Post author

Totally agree with you! My expectations for myself and for everyone else are totally different and it’s just not fair to me! I’m glad we are able to relate!

11. Tessa @ Amazing Asset

Another fabulously, well-written post Danielle and also I give you major props and appreciations for talking about such a tough issue! Your bullet points at the end are the sort of reminders I need on a daily basis

1. danielle Post author

Thanks so much Tessa! I’m so glad you enjoyed it and could benefit from the reminders :) I know I certainly can!

12. Sara @ Nourish and Flourish

Beautiful post, Danielle. <3 Your words really resonate with me because like you, I'm Type A to a 'T.' I have been my entire life, which has made learning to embrace my imperfections (and thereby love myself), very challenging. There were lots of dark moments in my past, but I'm grateful for those challenging periods because they enabled me–no, *forced* me– to realize the interconnectedness of mind, body and soul. It wasn't until I started nourishing myself physically, emotionally and spiritually, that I began to feel more peaceful and balanced. I think the list of goals you've set out for yourself addresses all of those things, and I know you will get there. You have a heart of gold, and as cliche as this sounds, your beauty shines inside and out. I really really mean that! <3

1. danielle Post author

Thank you so much Sara! What a kind comment! I love how similar we are in our thinking and experiences. I too and am so grateful for my setbacks because I don’t think I would be the person I am today or be doing what I’m doing if it weren’t for these struggles.