Back in the day I was the low calorie queen. I was a crazy calorie counter for years before I finally found peace with food. This meant the fewer calories the better and it often came at the expense of my health. One of my favorites still stands out in my mind. Little packaged meringues that you could eat like 20 of for 100 calories. Heaven to me back then. Little did I know they were loaded with chemicals and fake sugar too. Not only was I undernourished on calories, but I was over-nourished on chemicals and all things artificial. This recipe however is the perfect balance. Instead of processed foods I reach for high quality ingredients that I also love and naturally crave. These meringues are going on that list. They are filling and delicious and take only 3 ingredients to make. They do take quite a while to bake so make sure you plan ahead on time. Other than that they are paleo approved, gluten free, and amazing! I hope you love them just as much as I did.
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- dash of salt
- 6 fresh strawberries
- fresh berries of your choice
- unsweetened coconut (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
- In a food processor blend the fresh strawberries until pureed.
- In a mixing bowl beat your egg whites and salt on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the strawberries into the egg white mixture.
- On a greased baking sheet scoop the egg whites into circles and be sure to make an indentation in the middle for your berries using the back of the spoon.
- Sprinkle with coconut if desired.
- Bake for 1 and 1/2 hours at 200 degrees.
- After 1 1/2 hours turn off the oven and let the meringues cool inside of the oven (about 1 hour longer).
- Remove from the and fill with fresh berries.
Makes 4 large meringues.
Did you have any “not so healthy” habits in your past???