Cinnamon Squash and Spinach

Every year I go on a squash overload at the beginning of fall up until they start to disappear from the shelves! Squash is easily one of my favorite vegetables and there are so many kinds to love! Butternut squash is definitely one of my top favorites because it’s everywhere and so simple to make! This recipe combines some of my favorite fall flavors and makes and excellent side dish for a comforting fall meal!

Cinnamon Butternut Squash and Spinach

Ingredients:

• Butternut Squash, 2 cups chopped
  •  2.5 oz baby spinach
  • 1/2 tbs. cinnamon
  • 1 tbs. coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup dried apple juice sweetened cranberries

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Chop your squash into small cubes and bake for 45 minutes until done.
  3. In a skillet over medium high heat, warm your coconut oil and add in your cooked squash.
  4. Sprinkle the cinnamon over the squash and stir.
  5. Add in your spinach and cover until wilted.
  6. Continue to mix adding in your cranberries.
  7. Enjoy!

Butternut squash

Cinnamon squash and spinach

What’s your favorite fall squash???

38 thoughts on “Cinnamon Squash and Spinach

1. Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin

I love pairing squash with cinnamon! A few weeks ago I seriously had the best cinnamon roasted butternut squash from Whole Foods… I don’t know how they did it, but it was some of the best squash I’ve ever had!

My favourite kind is kabocha. I’m bummed though because I couldn’t find it at the grocery store this weekend! Hopefully it’ll be there next week otherwise I’m going to start going through withdrawal. 😛

1. danielle Post author

I can never find kaboocha anywhere! I do love buttercup squash too! I think it’s pretty similar to kaboocha!

2. [email protected] of Pace

I just bought two butternut squash on sale yesterday at the store. We were debating on what to do with them! This looks yummy. I love acorn squash roasted topped with a scoop of sunflower seed butter and cinnamon. It’s almost like dessert!

3. Wendy

My favorite fall squash is kabocha and delicata!! Your recipe looks delicious!! I wish I could find unsweetened cranberries around here- only WF carries them that I know of!

1. danielle Post author

Thanks Wendy! Unfortunately that’s the only place near me that carries unsweetened cranberries too! I always make sure I have some on hand!

4. Amanda @ .running with spoons.

I absolutely adore squash, and it makes me kind of sad that my stomach doesn’t seem to approve of it in the kind of mass quantities that I’d like to eat 😆 Butternut is fabulous (especially with cinnamon) but I think I’d have to go with kabocha as my all time favorite, simply because I love the fact that it’s a little bit drier.

1. danielle Post author

I always get the apple juice sweetened ones at Whole Foods! It’s the only kind I can find without added sugar!

5. Corrie Anne

This is my first year getting into squash!!! I always hated it when my mom made it. Thought it was so gross. I still like to really spice it up to mask the taste a little!

6. Sara @ Nourish and Flourish

Mmm…I love all the colors and flavors in this recipe–it’s really quintessential fall! I may make this for Thanksgiving!

Kabocha squash is definitely my favorite, but I buy butternut more often because it’s easier to find and a bit more versatile. I usually roast it with coconut oil, salt and pepper and then “accessorize” according to what I’m craving. Sometimes I’ll sprinkle feta or Parmesan on top, sometimes I add cinnamon; sometimes a drizzle of tahini. I also love pureeing the roasted squash into soup. It makes for a soup with much more flavor than when you simply boil the squash!

1. danielle Post author

All those ideas sound so yummy! I really need to try making a roasted squash soup! Never had it but sounds so good!

7. Pingback: Marvelous in My Monday!

8. Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli

Mmmm! LOVE cinnamon and spinach together! Actually, my lunch today was sauteed spinach and red onion with cinnamon stuffed inside a kuri squash with cottage cheese, sunflower seed butter, and jam…SO GOOD!!

My favorite winter squash? Hands down: KABOCHA!!

9. Pingback: What I Ate Wednesday