Let’s talk about dining out!!! It doesn’t have to be a bad experience or to derail your diet!! Here are some tips for staying the course! Plan ahead and make it happen!!!
- Develop an “I don’t have to eat it all!” Mindset. Make up your mind before you go that you don’t have to get the most bang for your buck by cleaning your plate. KEEP YOUR GOAL IN MIND.
- Satisfy hunger only. Eat for the purpose of satisfying your hunger, but no more. Be mindful while you eat and when you hit the point of satiety STOP!
- Start small and green. Start your meal with a salad, without dressing. Use a spritz of lemon or some balsamic vinegar.
- Broth is best. When there is no salad option have a broth based soup.
- NO BREAD PLEASE! Nix the bread before your meal and ask for it not to be brought to the table!
- Know your best options Look for entree options featuring steamed or raw veggies and grilled, baked or roasted meats or fish. If they aren’t listed, ask the server to prepare it that way. Oh and don’t always trust the low fat or fat free symbols.
- Portion Control. Have a good look at your plate when it arrives. Restaurants tend to double the portions. Ask for a doggie bag and split your meal in half.
- Avoid Alcohol You want to avoid alcohol because sugar can derail you in the most powerful way. Have sparkling water with lemon or lime slices.
- Stop before the end. Think of your plan to shed those pounds, if you can’t resist something sweet ask for a dish of fresh fruit and leave it at that!
If you doubt your ability to resist restaurant offerings then eat before hand! Then when you go to a restaurant or social event you don’t have to worry about what’s on the menu and you can focus on enjoying the time with friends and family!
One of the most difficult things to manage while following a healthy lifestyle is your social life. So surround yourself with family and friends that support what you are doing and are not sabotaging your efforts. Instead of going out drinking or to a restaurant here are some alternatives.
- Meet a friend at the gym
- Have a game night at home with healthy clean snacks
- Volunteer together at a local charity
- Meet at the park for a walk or bike ride
- Take a fitness class with friends!
A healthy lifestyle doesn’t have to mean a boring life!!!! Think outside the box!! Life doesn’t need to revolve around food and drinks!