Chocolate Chip protein pancake…so easy! Mix together 5 egg whites, 1 tbs. coconut flour, 1 tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder, stevia, 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp. baking powder. Cook like an omelet and top with 1 tbs. of enjoy life chocolate chips.
I’m constantly in the process of adding more protein in my diet. When my diet is well-balanced and high in protein it always keeps me fuller longer, and keeps my energy levels balanced throughout the day. While I do love my crockpot chicken and smoothies, I also like to mix things up every now and then and here is one of my favorite ways.
This “pancake” is more of a sweet omelet consistency than an actual pancake but I promise it tastes good and is packed with protein. I like to use shakeology for my protein base to up the nutritional value and add in extra vitamins and minerals but any brand works. You could even blend a handful of spinach into the egg whites to add some extra greens.
- 3/4 cup egg whites
- 1/2 scoop protein
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- In a mixing bowl whisk together all ingredients.
- Meanwhile heat a skillet sprayed with coconut oil over medium heat.
- Pour the egg white mixture in the pan cover and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Flip your “pancake” and cook 1 minute longer.
- Top with toppings of your choice (my favorite is peanut butter but almost anything would be great!).
What’s your favorite protein packed recipe?
Happy January 1st! I will be posting an article later this week on why I don’t do resolutions but I will be doing some goal setting in it’s place! I spent my News Years Eve working, and this morning am headed to New Year’s Day brunch with my family. It’s a yearly tradition. So I thought in honors of New Years brunch I would leave with a brunch recipe: pancakes. Before we get to our recipe I wanted to share with you some highlights of Sophie’s first big snow. Boston got a bunch of snow on Saturday night and while I dread it, it turns out, Sophie loves it!
Being the spoiled puppy that she is I shoveled a path for her in the backyard but she preferred the snow!
She’s so fluffy the snow sticks to her fur. Totally doesn’t phase her.
And that was our weekend. This weekend only makes me dream of the beach more and more….
Onto your recipe…
I learned a very important lesson in the process of making this recipe: Gingerbread pancakes do not photograph well. It also doesn’t help when you burn them! But I promise you they’re delicious and 100% Paleo and Gluten Free! So make them for, brunch, breakfast, dinner, whatever you may be doing today and have a very happy New Year!
- 1 tbs. coconut flour
- 1 tbs. almond flour
- 1 tbs. coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. cloves
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. all spice
- 1/8 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1/2 tbs. blackstrap molasses
- 3 egg whites
- In a mixing bowl combine all of your dry ingredients (flour, sugar, and spices).
- Next mix in your molasses and egg whites and stir well.
- Preheat a skillet with coconut oil.
- Pour your batter into 3 smaller pancakes and bake until the edges start to round and cakes bubble and flip.
- Cook until done and enjoy!
Makes 1 serving.
Happy New Year!
How are you celebrating the new year??? What did you do last night?