Back to School Season is HERE and I know the aisles are full of all the best snacks, treats, and even Halloween candy already (𝘸𝘢𝘺 𝘵𝘰𝘰 𝘴𝘰𝘰𝘯).
One of the biggest downfalls I see amongst my clients is not their actual meals, but rather the snack choices they’re making throughout the day.
That being said, I wanted to come up with a list of some healthy back to school, work or even work from home snacks to look out for.
Try your best to be sure you’re balancing your snacks with a carbohydrate source, protein, and/or healthy fat. Carb heavy snacks alone will simply spike up your blood sugar and leave you reaching for more sugar shortly after.
Also, if you’re someone who struggles with portion control or find yourself munching from the bag, try to pre-portion out your servings as soon as you bring the box home so you’re less likely to overdo it.
Take a pick from the protein list, healthy fat list, and carbohydrate list and you have yourself a healthy balanced snack.
You can download a PDF with some of my favorites here.
Here are some Mix & Match Examples:
- Rice Thins with Hummus & Veggies
- Cottage Cheese with Siete Cinnamon Churro Chips & Fruit
- Apple Slices with Natural Peanut Butter & Cinnamon
- Rice Thins with Cottage Cheese & Cherry Tomatoes
- Snackable Veggies with Hummus and/or Avocado
- Greek Yogurt with Flaxseed & Fruit
- Adult Lunchable: Simple Mill’s Crackers, Chomps Stick, & Organic Cheddar
- Cookie Dough Greek Yogurt with Apple Dippers (Recipe coming soon)
- Cinnamon Roasted Apples with Greek Yogurt, Cinnamon & Sliced Almonds
Also, I know it can be tricky to know what to look for on ingredient labels. My general rule of thumb is the fewer the ingredients, and the more recognizable the better.
Ideally try to steer clear of options with added sugars, inflammatory oils (𝘴𝘰𝘺𝘣𝘦𝘢𝘯, 𝘤𝘰𝘳𝘯, 𝘤𝘢𝘯𝘰𝘭𝘢, 𝘴𝘶𝘯𝘧𝘭𝘰𝘸𝘦𝘳, 𝘴𝘢𝘧𝘧𝘭𝘰𝘸𝘦𝘳, & 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘯𝘶𝘵 𝘰𝘪𝘭𝘴), and processed soy.
What’s your go-to snack?!