Do you struggle with an afternoon slump?
Can’t seem to break your cheez it addiction?
Always reach for the office candy dish at 3pm?
If this is you, it’s not your lack of willpower, we just have to tweak your choices.
One of the biggest problems I see with typical ‘snack’ options is they’re mainly fast digesting carbohydrates. The problem is, we digest them quickly, they spike our blood sugar, and we crash shortly after, leaving you reaching for more snacks.
Try out this perfect snack formula to be sure you keep your blood sugar stable, and your afternoon snack monster at bay.
- Pick a protein or healthy fat or both from the first list (they’ll slow down digestion and help keep you full longer)
- Pick a fiber filled carbohydrate from the second list (the fiber makes them digest more slowly, and will help to keep you full).
Protein & Healthy Fat Options:
- Antibiotic Nitrate & Nitrite Free Organic Turkey Breast Slices
- Hard Boiled Eggs (eat the yolk for healthy fat & nutrients too)
- Greek Yogurt (I love Fage or Two Good)
- Cottage Cheese (I like Good Culture)
- Tuna or Salmon Packets
- Organic String Cheese
- Protein Powder (look for all clean ingredients – always happy to recommend the one I use and love)
- Chomps Turkey Sticks
- Natural Nut Butter
- Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- Pumpkin or Sunflower Seeds
- Yogurt Based Dips
Fiber Filled Carbohydrate Options:
- Any Fruit fresh or frozen with no syrup/sugar added (bananas, apples, grapes, berries, etc… all travel well)
- Freeze dried crunchy fruit (only ingredient should be the fruit)
- Snackable Veggies (cherry tomatoes, snap peas, baby bell peppers, carrots, cucumbers, etc…)
- Brown Rice Cakes
- Whole Grain Cereal (I love three wishes for a little extra protein) with at least 4 grams of fiber
- Siete Tortilla Chips
- Lesser Evil Popcorn
- Lesser Evil Power Curls
- Whole Grain Crackers (I love Simple Mills)
- Sweet Potatoes
- Granola or Protein Bar with at least 4 grams of Fiber
- Birch Benders Pancake Mix
- Whole Grain Bread (at least 4 grams of Fiber)
Mix & Match Ideas
- Snackable Veggies & Hummus or Greek Yogurt Dip
- Cereal with a Scoop of Protein & Unsweetened Nut Milk
- Apple Slices with Nut Butter & Lily’s Chocolate Chips
- Oats with a Scoop of Protein Powder & Nut Butter
- Hard Boiled Eggs & Dried Chickpeas
- Brown Rice Cakes topped with Hummus, Cottage Cheese, Nut Butter, or Protein Frosting
- String Cheese & Popcorn
- Whole Grain Crackers with a Tuna Pouch
- Greek yogurt with Fruit & Flaxseed
- Cottage Cheese with Sliced Tomatoes and Everything but the Bagel Seasoning
- Lesser Evil Popcorn with Pumpkin Seeds & Nutritional Yeast
- Whole Grain Toast with Avocado or Nut Butter
P.S. Still want to reach for the cheez its too? Add in a handful or a hershey kiss if you’ve got a sweet tooth, but portion out and consume it last having your healthier snack combo first 😉
No foods off limits around here! What’s your favorite snack?
Easiest Skillet Dinner ever!!!!
In a skillet you’ll cook up 1 bag of frozen cauliflower rice, add in 200 grams of shredded carrots (about 2 cups), and coconut aminos.
Mix in 2 servings of precooked shrimp, and 1 cup of black beans.
Once everything has combined, you’ll crack one egg in the middle and let it scramble.
Super easy fried rice without the rice! Gluten free & so good! It made 2 servings for me!
This was so good!!! I want to share some of my exclusive Gut Protocol recipes I’ve been sharing with you all first!! These oats are AMAZING and taste like dessert.
In a saucepan you’ll cook 30 grams of oats with about 1/2-3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil and let cook then pour into a container.
Mix in 20 grams (1/2 scoop) of vegan chocolate protein, 5 grams of chia seeds, and 20 grams of frozen blueberries. You may need to add a bit more water.
Combine and refrigerate overnight then enjoy the next day! You’re going to love it!