𝘞𝘩𝘺 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘧𝘦𝘦𝘭 𝘶𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘱𝘪𝘳𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘬𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘯𝘰𝘸…
It’s dark, it’s cold, and every night around 4:30pm I’ve been cringing at the thought of getting started with my workout.
Staying home on my couch with netflix & dinner seems so much more appealing.
I’m tired, my energy is low and honestly, my motivation to workout has been slim to none.
𝐃𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐥 𝐦𝐞?
As a trainer I see this happen every December: empty gyms, ghosting clients, and canceled workouts.
𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐨 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐲𝐨𝐮’𝐫𝐞 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐚𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐞.
𝘞𝘩𝘢𝘵’𝘴 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦𝘭𝘺 𝘨𝘰𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘰𝘯 𝘪𝘴 𝘢 𝘧𝘦𝘸 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴:
→ Thanks to the holidays, you’re busier, more stressed, more overwhelmed, and making a workout a priority on your endless to-do list just doesn’t seem practical.
→ Time changes, darkness at 4pm, and cold weather are never fun. Less vitamin D, less sunshine, and impaired sleep may lead to more stress, anxiety, depression, and just overall lack of energy.
→ You’re experiencing a little bit of that all or nothing mindset. If you’re just going to be eating all the Christmas cookies later, does a workout really make sense? Once it’s January it will get easier and you’ll be able to start fresh.
But here’s the good news: it’s possible to make some changes now so you don’t have to put off your health until January.
Take action and 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐓, even and especially when you’re not feeling it. The hardest part is starting and usually once you get going you’ll be just fine.
So how do you actually do that?
- Promise yourself you’ll just make it through the warm up. If after that, you still want to stop, full permission. (disclaimer: I’m 99% sure you won’t)
- Remind yourself of how you’ll feel afterwards. As cheesy as it sounds you really don’t ever regret a workout, and you’ll most likely feel great after. Also keep in mind how you’ll feel if you skip it, likely a little disappointed, regretful, and still low on energy and mood.
- Recruit a buddy. It’s a whole lot easier to show up for someone else than it is yourself. Sign up for a class (even if it’s online) to hold yourself accountable, meet a friend in person, via zoom, or simply send a check in text once your workout is complete.
Here are some other simple tips to try:
- Have a Game Plan of what you’ll be doing
- Schedule your workouts into your day like an important meeting or appointment
- Put a new playlist together, listen to a podcast, etc..
- Get outside and go for a walk instead
- Take a different class or try something new
- Track your progress (log your workouts, use a step tracker, watch, etc…)
- Work towards a goal (think chin ups, push ups, lifting PR, etc…)
- Sign up for a race, event, or competition to train for
- Hop into a challenge
- Remove the guilt! If you need rest day, take it.
Do the best you can and remember that something is ALWAYS better than nothing. The best thing your workout can give you this time of year is therapy and a big old energy and endorphin boost. It may be the very thing you’re missing to feel more motivated, so it’s time to stop the vicious loop by taking action.
𝐆𝐨 𝐦𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐛𝐨𝐝𝐲.
𝘚𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘱𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘵𝘰 𝘪𝘵 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘯𝘦𝘦𝘥 𝘢 𝘬𝘪𝘤𝘬 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘰𝘰𝘵𝘺!
And tell me, how are you workouts going right now? 𝘋𝘪𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘮𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘰𝘥𝘢𝘺? 𝘈𝘳𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘶𝘨𝘨𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘧𝘪𝘵𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘴? 𝘋𝘰𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘴𝘶𝘳𝘱𝘳𝘪𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘭𝘺 𝘸𝘦𝘭𝘭? 𝘏𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘪𝘭𝘺 𝘸𝘢𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘭 𝘑𝘢𝘯𝘶𝘢𝘳𝘺? Fill me in